Egypt's president gives up newly declared powers to pacify his liberal-secular opponents, but it may not be enough
An escalating conflict is threatening to turn a nasty parliamentary debate into something more akin to a civil war
The western military alliance is moving to the front lines for the first time in Syria's 20-month civil war
The White House's move is a good first step toward bringing Iran to the bargaining table
The country's courts shut down, intensifying their power struggle against President Mohamed Morsi and his Islamist allies
Just as they did in 2011, angry Egyptians are taking to the streets. And the whole scene is looking very familiar
Egypt's secularists, unable to counter the Muslim Brotherhood's impressively powerful political machine, are turning increasingly violent
Palestinians cheer the status upgrade from the United Nations General Assembly. Many American lawmakers are less enthused
Early Thursday morning, the war-torn Mideast nation disappeared from the internet. What happened?
The Palestinian Authority is asking the United Nations General Assembly for a mostly symbolic status upgrade. How much good would that really do?
Mahmoud Abbas plans to request a controversial status upgrade from the United Nations — despite strident objections from Israel and the U.S.
Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood president just gave himself potentially dictatorial powers, prompting fears that history might be repeating itself
Mitt Romney spent months accusing Obama of throwing Israel "under the bus." Obama's stance on Gaza might finally put such accusations to rest
The fate of the escalating conflict in the Middle East rests primarily on how effective machinery on both sides turns out to be
The latest round of fighting has underscored the need for a viable solution to halt the region's endless cycle of violence
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week