Can we afford to adopt the Defense Department's new strategy for slashing spending on weapons and troops? Can we afford not to?
Americans returning from war are far more likely to be jobless — and eventually homeless — than their civilian counterparts
Can a groundbreaking new procedure help the human body rebuild lost limbs much like a lizard regrows its tail?
The remains of fallen soldiers were lost, dumped in a landfill, and in one case, dismembered. A guide to the disturbing revelations
A complex new machine could help soldiers target unseen enemies — even if they're hiding in a concrete building
Soldiers at a base in Afghanistan have taken to having their brows shaved and threaded into precise arches. Commentators have taken to mocking them
Unmanned aircraft used by the Air Force for espionage and combat have been stung by malware. Should we be worried?
At a gay-rights gala, President Obama tears into his Republican challengers for failing to defend a gay soldier when a GOP debate audience booed him
When an openly gay U.S. service member in Iraq asks Rick Santorum a question via YouTube, some Florida debate watchers respond rather disrespectfully
The ban on gays serving openly in the military is officially history. What changes are in store for the armed forces?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- California's epic drought
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- This week I learned the meteor that doomed the dinos gave us seasonal trees, and more
Subscribe to the Week