opinion briefs on this topic
America was supposed to leave behind a force several thousand strong to help Afghans provide security after 2014. But now...
Young Malala Yousafzai began to rail against the Taliban's ban on girls' education when she was just 11. Just this week, she survived an assassination attempt
A helmet camera captures an American squad's assault on Taliban insurgents
Violence surges over an anti-Islam film. Afghan soldiers are attacking Western troops. And peace talks are at a standstill
The U.S. officially labels members of the Haqqani network terrorists. Don't expect that to turn the tide in Afghanistan
In the wake of several shootings, the U.S. suspends a key program meant to prepare Afghans to take over security duties, creating a new obstacle for America's withdrawal
As insurgents step up attacks against Afghan civilians, why isn't anybody mentioning the war on the U.S. presidential campaign trail?
A gruesome video shows militants shooting a young woman accused of adultery. Will the uproar help Afghanistan bolster opposition to the Taliban?
A decorated Army vet levels some devastating accusations at the top brass. And it's time for lawmakers to listen up
Unfiltered, real-time commentary from around the world
Washington and Kabul agree to keep partnering for 10 years after Afghan forces take over security duties in 2014... but many kinks still need to be worked out
The anonymous solider who leaked the gruesome photos says he hopes the outrage will prompt the military to clean house
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week