opinion briefs on this topic
America was supposed to leave behind a force several thousand strong to help Afghans provide security after 2014. But now...
Young Malala Yousafzai began to rail against the Taliban's ban on girls' education when she was just 11. Just this week, she survived an assassination attempt
A helmet camera captures an American squad's assault on Taliban insurgents
Violence surges over an anti-Islam film. Afghan soldiers are attacking Western troops. And peace talks are at a standstill
The U.S. officially labels members of the Haqqani network terrorists. Don't expect that to turn the tide in Afghanistan
In the wake of several shootings, the U.S. suspends a key program meant to prepare Afghans to take over security duties, creating a new obstacle for America's withdrawal
As insurgents step up attacks against Afghan civilians, why isn't anybody mentioning the war on the U.S. presidential campaign trail?
A gruesome video shows militants shooting a young woman accused of adultery. Will the uproar help Afghanistan bolster opposition to the Taliban?
A decorated Army vet levels some devastating accusations at the top brass. And it's time for lawmakers to listen up
Unfiltered, real-time commentary from around the world
Washington and Kabul agree to keep partnering for 10 years after Afghan forces take over security duties in 2014... but many kinks still need to be worked out
The anonymous solider who leaked the gruesome photos says he hopes the outrage will prompt the military to clean house
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The toughest question for 2016 Democratic presidential candidates
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Why the FDA's new antibiotic rules fall short
Subscribe to the Week