opinion briefs on this topic
After the fiscal-cliff fiasco, Republicans have almost nothing to lose
Mitch McConnell and Co. empower several lawmakers to find $1.5 trillion in deficit reductions. Are they destined for a Grand Bargain — or failure?
Foreign observers were horrified by Washington's bungling of a debt-ceiling hike, and Uncle Sam's reputation may never recover
When a congressional "super committee" hammers out the debt deal's spending cuts, the Pentagon's budget could be the crux of the drama
After weeks of being pummeled and embarrassed by Tea Partiers, the House speaker claims victory for the GOP — and himself
Aaron Sorkin's acclaimed NBC drama breaks down the concept that's been confounding Congress — in an episode that aired in 2005
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week