opinion briefs on this topic
After the fiscal-cliff fiasco, Republicans have almost nothing to lose
Mitch McConnell and Co. empower several lawmakers to find $1.5 trillion in deficit reductions. Are they destined for a Grand Bargain — or failure?
Foreign observers were horrified by Washington's bungling of a debt-ceiling hike, and Uncle Sam's reputation may never recover
When a congressional "super committee" hammers out the debt deal's spending cuts, the Pentagon's budget could be the crux of the drama
After weeks of being pummeled and embarrassed by Tea Partiers, the House speaker claims victory for the GOP — and himself
Aaron Sorkin's acclaimed NBC drama breaks down the concept that's been confounding Congress — in an episode that aired in 2005
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
Subscribe to the Week