opinion briefs on this topic
After the fiscal-cliff fiasco, Republicans have almost nothing to lose
Mitch McConnell and Co. empower several lawmakers to find $1.5 trillion in deficit reductions. Are they destined for a Grand Bargain — or failure?
Foreign observers were horrified by Washington's bungling of a debt-ceiling hike, and Uncle Sam's reputation may never recover
When a congressional "super committee" hammers out the debt deal's spending cuts, the Pentagon's budget could be the crux of the drama
After weeks of being pummeled and embarrassed by Tea Partiers, the House speaker claims victory for the GOP — and himself
Aaron Sorkin's acclaimed NBC drama breaks down the concept that's been confounding Congress — in an episode that aired in 2005
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- China's massive pollution problem
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
Subscribe to the Week