opinion briefs on this topic
Some Republicans argue that failing to raise the debt ceiling wouldn't be as catastrophic as many economists fear
The U.S. has exceeded the $14.3 trillion borrowing limit imposed by Congress, and though it's taking emergency measures to pay its bills, time is running out
Boehner delivers a much-hyped speech on the economy — and comes under fire for making some very questionable claims
The House speaker insists that any deal to raise the nation's borrowing limit is contingent on finding $2 trillion in budget cuts. Is that reckless?
The political press worries that Congress' failure to pick powerful, budget-focused negotiators has already spoiled its talks with the White House
The ratings agency slashes America's credit outlook, warning of major financial risks if politicians fail to reach a deal on reducing our long-term deficits
The House speaker is reportedly contacting top bankers to ask how far he can push the fight over the debt ceiling without roiling the markets. What does it all mean?
With so much at stake, some wonder if the GOP would really risk letting the government default on its debts. Will the Democrats call their bluff?
Get ready for the next round of political wrangling over federal spending — the "epic fight" over raising the government's $14.3 trillion debt limit
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- The last racial taboo
- The secrets of happy families
Subscribe to the Week