opinion briefs on this topic
Some Republicans argue that failing to raise the debt ceiling wouldn't be as catastrophic as many economists fear
The U.S. has exceeded the $14.3 trillion borrowing limit imposed by Congress, and though it's taking emergency measures to pay its bills, time is running out
Boehner delivers a much-hyped speech on the economy — and comes under fire for making some very questionable claims
The House speaker insists that any deal to raise the nation's borrowing limit is contingent on finding $2 trillion in budget cuts. Is that reckless?
The political press worries that Congress' failure to pick powerful, budget-focused negotiators has already spoiled its talks with the White House
The ratings agency slashes America's credit outlook, warning of major financial risks if politicians fail to reach a deal on reducing our long-term deficits
The House speaker is reportedly contacting top bankers to ask how far he can push the fight over the debt ceiling without roiling the markets. What does it all mean?
With so much at stake, some wonder if the GOP would really risk letting the government default on its debts. Will the Democrats call their bluff?
Get ready for the next round of political wrangling over federal spending — the "epic fight" over raising the government's $14.3 trillion debt limit
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week