opinion briefs on this topic
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and the Republican Study Committee unveil a budget that would eradicate the deficit by 2020. Will it get a better reception than Rep. Ryan's controversial plan?
So says the conservative Heritage Foundation and Rep. Paul Ryan. But their projections have been picked apart by commentators. Who's right?
Lawmakers are still locked in talks over federal spending for the next six months, but the GOP is ready to unveil a 2012 budget proposal that slashes Medicare and Medicaid
The West Virginia senator declares that he will break with his party and vote against raising the debt ceiling. Will that trigger a rebellion?
Moody's and S&P have warned that the U.S. is in danger of losing its AAA credit rating. How could that happen, and what would it mean?
The leaders of the presidential debt-reduction panel propose slashing everything from military spending to Social Security benefits
The GOP congressman says his "Roadmap" of steep spending and tax cuts could halve the budget deficit. Critics say the plan is "flimflam"
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week