opinion briefs on this topic
The crusading Harvard Law professor is one of Obama's three candidates to run the new U.S. consumer watchdog agency. But is the Senate demanding a blander pick?
The GOP senator says he'll provide the key vote to pass the Democrats' financial reform bill. The Tea Partiers who voted him into office aren't pleased
As Obama makes a final push for reforming banks, key members of the GOP are quieting their criticism of the plan. Why the shift?
The connection between campaign contributions and public policy is more subtle than most cynics acknowledge. But as the Senate considers reform of the financial system, the opportunities -- and motives -- for abuse are mounting.
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week