Officials detain a prominent Chinese artist and activist, drawing comparisons to the brutal aftermath of the Tiananmen Square protests
MGM casts the Chinese as villains in a new version of the 1980s classic — then digitally changes them to North Koreans. Why is the studio running scared?
China has launched a massive "diplomacy campaign" coinciding with President Hu Jintao's Washington visit. But commentators aren't sure the big publicity push will work
Obama urged Chinese leader Hu Jintao to make progress on human rights — but should the president be throwing his weight around to effect real change?
Well-heeled Chinese consumers are acquiring a taste for pricey whiskies and wines. And in a country where a PBR costs $44, the numbers quickly add up...
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 10 things you need to know today: August 20, 2014
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
Subscribe to the Week