opinion briefs on this topic
Officials detain a prominent Chinese artist and activist, drawing comparisons to the brutal aftermath of the Tiananmen Square protests
MGM casts the Chinese as villains in a new version of the 1980s classic — then digitally changes them to North Koreans. Why is the studio running scared?
China has launched a massive "diplomacy campaign" coinciding with President Hu Jintao's Washington visit. But commentators aren't sure the big publicity push will work
Obama urged Chinese leader Hu Jintao to make progress on human rights — but should the president be throwing his weight around to effect real change?
Well-heeled Chinese consumers are acquiring a taste for pricey whiskies and wines. And in a country where a PBR costs $44, the numbers quickly add up...
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week