opinion briefs on this topic
Pyongyang infuriated the U.S. and United Nations, and humiliated its only friend and supporter, China
The state-run media outlet has yet to update its site, offering a glimpse of the world before the Hermit Kingdom shifted the geopolitical calculus
World leaders roundly condemn Pyongyang after the Hermit Kingdom conducts its third nuclear test
The Kim dynasty just posted a low-budget video showing what it wants people to believe its nukes can do — to the dulcet strains of "We Are the World"
Pyongyang unleashes fresh threats against Washington and South Korea over toughening U.N. sanctions. Should we be worried?
Mother Jones takes a look at a globetrotting young investor who's the only American — and the only human being — Pyongyang follows
The Hermit Kingdom is reportedly taking tentative steps to at least ease the central government's stranglehold over the economy
Pyongyang pushes aside an "ailing" general who'd been considered Kim Jong Un's mentor. Is the general really sick, or is this a purge to firm up Kim's grip on power?
The North Korean despot endorses a bizarre concert featuring Mickey Mouse, Rocky Balboa, and other U.S. pop icons — sparking a guessing game about his motives
The Obama and Romney campaigns are squaring off over foreign policy just as an increasingly belligerent North Korea reportedly prepares for a nuclear test
Pyongyang warns that it's readying a "peculiar" strike against South Korea, and, as usual, it's unclear whether the browbeating is serious or just hot air
The hermit kingdom swears that it will launch a satellite into space any day now. Is this just a precursor to a nuclear test?
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' 'white Santa' claim
- How John Boehner learned to stop worrying and hate the Tea Party
- A scientific argument for dressing a little nicer at work
- A candid look at what went wrong with Mitt Romney's campaign
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How the budget deal could pave the way for immigration reform
- 26 fascinating facts about beer
- The Black Death is back
- Why a Mike Huckabee presidential run is Chris Christie's worst nightmare
Subscribe to the Week