opinion briefs on this topic
If the early reviews are any indication, history will not be kind to the class of lawmakers who occupied Capitol Hill over the past two years
Passions, it seems, were running awfully high behind the scenes
Republicans and Democrats are vowing to make compromises to tackle huge problems. Skeptics cannot help but scoff
Politicians in the House and Senate are speaking at a 10th grade level, down an entire grade level since 2005. But the test used to assess their language may be flawed
President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner trade shots as their parties head into an election-year showdown over student loan rates
It's now legal to seize suspected terrorists and throw them in jail without charge or trial. Why was this controversial law debated in a secret committee?
Lawmakers are in the midst of passing two job-creation bills — and both of them, to everyone's surprise, have the support of Democrats and Republicans
The GOP-led House holds a hearing on Obama's controversial contraception compromise — and the five witnesses are all men
According to new data, the median net worth of a House member is 35 times that of an average American
Obama mocks the House for passing a symbolic resolution instead of a jobs bill — even though the motto debate lasted just 35 minutes
The president's falling poll numbers signal possible trouble in the 2012 election. But will voters be distracted by their fury at Republicans?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week