opinion briefs on this topic
Meet the new creationism-in-sheep's-clothing: The "academic freedom" bill
Several studies suggest that the Obama administration's proposal for universal preschool education, though costly, would pay off
The number of students trying to get into law school is declining sharply as tuition and student debt rise while job openings dwindle
Researchers believe that students who get endless checks from mom and dad may not take their education as seriously as those who foot the bill themselves
"It's too expensive to modify the kid's environment," says one doctor. "So we have to modify the kid."
A burly New York teacher is suing the city for the physical and emotional damage he allegedly endured at the hands of a 6-year-old student
Far too many U.S. teens leave high school unprepared for college — not to mention the job market
American schools have a drug problem, The New York Times reports, and it isn't with slackers doping up and dropping out
The New York Times Magazine unspools a real-life tale that reads like a stomach-churning mash-up of Charles Dickens and Gossip Girl
This year's high-school and college graduates will get a generous send-off, but their haul will be a drop in the bucket next to their student-loan debt
Under a new pilot program, Georgia will give students as young as 5 years old a say in grading their teachers on their knowledge and abilities
Parents complain after kids are asked to share something they're hiding. Is that an inappropriate question for a standardized test?
Parents complain after a high school teacher makes misbehaving and tardy teens wear the conical collars vets put on animals
To mitigate tension as kids get letters of acceptance — or rejection — from their dream schools, administrators are telling happy students to tone it down
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week