opinion briefs on this topic
Researchers discover that stimulating a primate's prefrontal cortex with a special electrical pattern improves decision-making abilities by a startling 10 percent
Conservationists might not bother rescuing a giant soft-shell turtle or a pygmy three-toed sloth because these animals don't provide any clear benefits to humans
Off Argentina's coast, the birds have trained themselves to swoop down on the endangered mammals to feast on their blubber when they surface for air
A recently discovered fly has a nasty habit of laying its eggs inside the heads of ants, where its offspring hatch and break through the ants' brains to go free
Zookeepers remove cataracts from the eyes of a 38-year-old elephant to help him see, and now they're considering giving him a pair of contacts
Necrophilia, rape, and murder — George Levick's 100-year-old observations on Adélie penguin culture are just now seeing print, and shocking readers
Giant flying bugs once boasted massive wingspans nearing 30 inches. But 150 million years ago, they began shrinking, and now scientists think they know why
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week