opinion briefs on this topic
By meeting absurdity with absurdity, "mint the coin" advocates may show debt-ceiling hostage takers the recklessness of their own premises
Liberals are floating an unorthodox plan to borrow more money without a fight over raising the debt ceiling. Conservatives are not pleased
Some of the president's allies say the 14th Amendment authorizes Obama to borrow whatever it takes to cover the government's bills
The bizarre gimmick is being discussed — seriously, by some — as a way for the government to keep paying its bills without a fight over raising the borrowing limit
Bush 43 has only slowly recovered from abysmal popularity numbers. Will this arguably symbolic win for his tax cuts speed the political rehabilitation?
One man wants to be president. The other craves the speaker's gavel
Washington has averted potentially devastating austerity measures. But what happens when the Treasury Department runs out of money next month?
Republicans should applaud the deal on ground of patriotism, policy, and politics
Despite a day of griping and intrigue among Republicans, the House sends President Obama a Senate deal to cancel a spate of fiscal discomfort
The Senate passes a bill that would raise taxes on the wealthy. But a big fight over spending still looms...
Obama is lifting a freeze on federal employees, meaning the disgraceful Congress that can't even fix its own self-imposed fiscal wreck will get a pay bump
Democrats and Republicans are already hurling accusations at each other
House Republicans refuse to go along with Speaker Boehner's proposal to let tax rates rise for people making more than $1 million
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week