There's still no deal to prevent the double-whammy of harsh tax hikes and spending cuts kicking in on Jan. 1. Who will feel the most pain if we take the plunge?
Going from 65 to 67 would save more than $100 billion over the next decade
The steep tax hikes and spending cuts set to take effect at year's end pale in comparison to what the country weathered just a few years ago
Voters overwhelmingly want Washington to solve the country's budget problems. But they reject nearly every meaningful proposition to do so
Some say the Obama administration could avoid a brewing fight over raising the credit limit (yes, yet again) by minting super valuable coins — and spending them
If the GOP wins, the biggest losers are states that voted for Mitt Romney. If Obama wins? Blue states pay up
President Obama is insistent that the fiscal-cliff battle not be a prelude to a debt-limit war in February, as the GOP is reportedly hoping
Democrats weren't impressed with Boehner's gauzy $800 million revenue offer, but some on the Right are downright livid
If the GOP can't beat President Obama on tax hikes for the rich, their sneakiest move might be to surrender
The White House isn't impressed with the GOP's opening gambit, but this game of fiscal chess has finally started in earnest
Insiders reportedly say the president doesn't want to let devastating automatic tax hikes and spending cuts take effect Jan. 1 — but will if he has to
President Obama has apparently learned the art of the deal. Can Republicans make him an offer he can't refuse?
When Mitch McConnell first heard Obama's proposal, he reportedly laughed in disbelief
A New York Times analysis finds that most Americans paid a higher percentage of their income in taxes in the '80s than they do now. Can that be?
Republicans and Democrats don't appear to be making progress toward a deficit-reduction deal to head off punishing automatic tax hikes and spending cuts
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why I choose not to be rich
- What if The Purge was real?
- Israel's invasion of Gaza shows peace talks were a sham all along
Subscribe to the Week