The president is planning campaign-style events to shore up public support for his push to raise taxes on the wealthy
Temporarily lowering payroll taxes on American workers failed to stimulate the economy — and ending the holiday promises to invite major political blowback
Cheering for steep spending cuts and tax hikes to kick in Jan. 1 is now a bipartisan sport
Lawmakers strike an optimistic note after meeting with Obama, raising hopes that Congress will spare the economy an unwelcome jolt on Jan. 1
Democrats have beefed up their Senate majority with the election of some "unabashed progressives." Will that make compromise even harder on Capitol Hill?
Democrats say Romney's proposal to raise revenue by slashing deductions for the rich could reduce deficits — without the tax-rate hikes that Republicans despise
In the months leading up to the election, Democrats successfully portrayed Republicans as the party of rich white elites. Never again, vow some conservatives
Liberals have urged Obama to play hardball in budget talks with Republicans, even if it means plunging the country into economic uncertainty
In his first public address since declaring victory Tuesday night, the newly re-elected president urges Congress to end the gridlock
A newly empowered Obama is heading into Round Two of budget talks with Speaker John Boehner
Washington and Wall Street are freaking out about a looming one-two punch of tax hikes and spending cuts
The president shouldn't expect a honeymoon after Tuesday's victory. Now that he has won re-election, Obama has to deal with a looming economic crisis
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week