A raft of automatic tax hikes and spending cuts could push the economy into a recession — but the painful package would also help us get our debt under control
A GOP plan would extend Bush-era tax cuts for all, including the rich, while ending some temporary breaks for lower-income families
Senate Democrats say they'll let devastating tax hikes and spending cuts hit at year's end if Republicans hold out against raising taxes on the rich
The president merely proposes extending the status quo for some Americans — and only for 12 months, at that
Republicans and Democrats alike seem blinded by the desire for a "harder, better, faster, stronger" America — so much so that they support useless defense projects
Obama wants tax rates and the debt ceiling to go up. Republicans want spending levels to go down. Get ready for gridlock
The House Speaker seems to be relishing the possibility of reliving the awful debt-ceiling drama of 2011 come December
America's national debt is ballooning at a worryingly rapid pace. But some programs ought to be spared the chopping block
Just as he did last year, the Wisconsin Republican again ignites a feud with a spending plan that calls for overhauling a popular, decades-old entitlement program
Republicans puzzle much of D.C. by suddenly backing off a demand to slash spending in exchange for extending a tax holiday. Is there more here than meets the eye?
The president's polarizing spending plan is dead on arrival in Congress, critics say. But it's still triggering plenty of debate
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week