opinion briefs on this topic
The congressional panel is still stuck over raising taxes as part of a plan to slash $1 trillion in deficits — and the deadline is barely a week away
The congressional panel must "think big" to put the nation's finances in order. But time is running out, and compromise is in short supply
Two Democrats helped Senate Republicans block the president's jobs plan from even being debated. What does that say about Washington?
Yes, say three GOP senators, who have proposed reforms that would raise the retirement age to 70, and reduce benefits for more affluent pensioners
The CBO says the last-minute compromise that prevented a government shutdown will only cut the deficit by a mere $352 million. Will that provoke a Tea Party rebellion?
The government will shut down if a budget deal isn't reached this week. Here, some of the 800,000 federal employees to be affected share what it would mean for them
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week