opinion briefs on this topic
The congressional panel is still stuck over raising taxes as part of a plan to slash $1 trillion in deficits — and the deadline is barely a week away
The congressional panel must "think big" to put the nation's finances in order. But time is running out, and compromise is in short supply
Two Democrats helped Senate Republicans block the president's jobs plan from even being debated. What does that say about Washington?
Yes, say three GOP senators, who have proposed reforms that would raise the retirement age to 70, and reduce benefits for more affluent pensioners
The CBO says the last-minute compromise that prevented a government shutdown will only cut the deficit by a mere $352 million. Will that provoke a Tea Party rebellion?
The government will shut down if a budget deal isn't reached this week. Here, some of the 800,000 federal employees to be affected share what it would mean for them
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Narendra Modi is not a shoo-in to become India's next prime minister
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why conservatives are trying to strangle solar energy
Subscribe to the Week