Liberal standard bearer Howard Dean says Democrats should be "quietly rooting" for a shutdown, because of the political damage it would inflict on the GOP. Is he right?
Budget talks between Republicans and Democrats have devolved into a finger-pointing stalemate. A deal by the April 8 deadline looks increasingly unlikely. Whose fault is that?
House Speaker John Boehner passes a deal to avoid an immediate government shutdown, but admits he may have to compromise for a permanent fix
The House GOP budget would defund the tsunami warning center that alerted West Coasters to danger last week. Is it time to reconsider the spending cuts?
The Left agrees to GOP spending cuts to temporarily avert a government shutdown. Will they fare any better in the showdown over a long-term deal?
Though it looks like disaster has been averted for now, the government could still grind to a halt in March. Which party would suffer most from a shutdown?
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
Subscribe to the Week