opinion briefs on this topic
Liberal standard bearer Howard Dean says Democrats should be "quietly rooting" for a shutdown, because of the political damage it would inflict on the GOP. Is he right?
Budget talks between Republicans and Democrats have devolved into a finger-pointing stalemate. A deal by the April 8 deadline looks increasingly unlikely. Whose fault is that?
House Speaker John Boehner passes a deal to avoid an immediate government shutdown, but admits he may have to compromise for a permanent fix
The House GOP budget would defund the tsunami warning center that alerted West Coasters to danger last week. Is it time to reconsider the spending cuts?
The Left agrees to GOP spending cuts to temporarily avert a government shutdown. Will they fare any better in the showdown over a long-term deal?
Though it looks like disaster has been averted for now, the government could still grind to a halt in March. Which party would suffer most from a shutdown?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week