opinion briefs on this topic
Liberal standard bearer Howard Dean says Democrats should be "quietly rooting" for a shutdown, because of the political damage it would inflict on the GOP. Is he right?
Budget talks between Republicans and Democrats have devolved into a finger-pointing stalemate. A deal by the April 8 deadline looks increasingly unlikely. Whose fault is that?
House Speaker John Boehner passes a deal to avoid an immediate government shutdown, but admits he may have to compromise for a permanent fix
The House GOP budget would defund the tsunami warning center that alerted West Coasters to danger last week. Is it time to reconsider the spending cuts?
The Left agrees to GOP spending cuts to temporarily avert a government shutdown. Will they fare any better in the showdown over a long-term deal?
Though it looks like disaster has been averted for now, the government could still grind to a halt in March. Which party would suffer most from a shutdown?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week