opinion briefs on this topic
Liberal standard bearer Howard Dean says Democrats should be "quietly rooting" for a shutdown, because of the political damage it would inflict on the GOP. Is he right?
Budget talks between Republicans and Democrats have devolved into a finger-pointing stalemate. A deal by the April 8 deadline looks increasingly unlikely. Whose fault is that?
House Speaker John Boehner passes a deal to avoid an immediate government shutdown, but admits he may have to compromise for a permanent fix
The House GOP budget would defund the tsunami warning center that alerted West Coasters to danger last week. Is it time to reconsider the spending cuts?
The Left agrees to GOP spending cuts to temporarily avert a government shutdown. Will they fare any better in the showdown over a long-term deal?
Though it looks like disaster has been averted for now, the government could still grind to a halt in March. Which party would suffer most from a shutdown?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Time Warner Cable is raising your monthly rate again
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- Why is the 'mor' in 'Voldemort' so evil-sounding?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- America's love-hate relationship with porn
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- The wrongheaded law that's making your food less safe
- 2 proven ways to increase your willpower — courtesy of the Cookie Monster
Subscribe to the Week