Liberal standard bearer Howard Dean says Democrats should be "quietly rooting" for a shutdown, because of the political damage it would inflict on the GOP. Is he right?
Budget talks between Republicans and Democrats have devolved into a finger-pointing stalemate. A deal by the April 8 deadline looks increasingly unlikely. Whose fault is that?
House Speaker John Boehner passes a deal to avoid an immediate government shutdown, but admits he may have to compromise for a permanent fix
The House GOP budget would defund the tsunami warning center that alerted West Coasters to danger last week. Is it time to reconsider the spending cuts?
The Left agrees to GOP spending cuts to temporarily avert a government shutdown. Will they fare any better in the showdown over a long-term deal?
Though it looks like disaster has been averted for now, the government could still grind to a halt in March. Which party would suffer most from a shutdown?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week