opinion briefs on this topic
Some are criticizing Japan's leaders for failing to be transparent with its citizens, and for not reacting quickly enough to the island nation's spiralling crisis
As Japan picks up the pieces after a 9.0-magnitude quake, anxious Californians confront worst-case-scenario forecasts for their state
The earthquake's devastation cripples the world's third-largest economy. Will Japan's disaster derail the delicate global recovery, too?
Despite the magnitude of the disaster, research suggests that the nation's recovery time will be short. Here's why
Survivors in northern Japan survey the shocking damage to their homes and towns from last week's disaster
The devastated island nation appears to be losing its fight to contain toxic radioactivity at its Fukushima nuclear reactors. Just how bad will it get?
Even Japan's world-class experts are struggling to contain a total meltdown after a catastrophic earthquake and tsunami. Is it time to reconsider nuclear power?
Hundreds died in the earthquake and resulting tsunami, but many commentators say the damage would have been far worse in any other country
Japan's 8.9-magnitude quake is one of the most powerful ever recorded. Here's how it compares to other historic temblors
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week