opinion briefs on this topic
Some are criticizing Japan's leaders for failing to be transparent with its citizens, and for not reacting quickly enough to the island nation's spiralling crisis
As Japan picks up the pieces after a 9.0-magnitude quake, anxious Californians confront worst-case-scenario forecasts for their state
The earthquake's devastation cripples the world's third-largest economy. Will Japan's disaster derail the delicate global recovery, too?
Despite the magnitude of the disaster, research suggests that the nation's recovery time will be short. Here's why
Survivors in northern Japan survey the shocking damage to their homes and towns from last week's disaster
The devastated island nation appears to be losing its fight to contain toxic radioactivity at its Fukushima nuclear reactors. Just how bad will it get?
Even Japan's world-class experts are struggling to contain a total meltdown after a catastrophic earthquake and tsunami. Is it time to reconsider nuclear power?
Hundreds died in the earthquake and resulting tsunami, but many commentators say the damage would have been far worse in any other country
Japan's 8.9-magnitude quake is one of the most powerful ever recorded. Here's how it compares to other historic temblors
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week