opinion briefs on this topic
Some are criticizing Japan's leaders for failing to be transparent with its citizens, and for not reacting quickly enough to the island nation's spiralling crisis
As Japan picks up the pieces after a 9.0-magnitude quake, anxious Californians confront worst-case-scenario forecasts for their state
The earthquake's devastation cripples the world's third-largest economy. Will Japan's disaster derail the delicate global recovery, too?
Despite the magnitude of the disaster, research suggests that the nation's recovery time will be short. Here's why
Survivors in northern Japan survey the shocking damage to their homes and towns from last week's disaster
The devastated island nation appears to be losing its fight to contain toxic radioactivity at its Fukushima nuclear reactors. Just how bad will it get?
Even Japan's world-class experts are struggling to contain a total meltdown after a catastrophic earthquake and tsunami. Is it time to reconsider nuclear power?
Hundreds died in the earthquake and resulting tsunami, but many commentators say the damage would have been far worse in any other country
Japan's 8.9-magnitude quake is one of the most powerful ever recorded. Here's how it compares to other historic temblors
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- China's massive pollution problem
- Fear of dying alone drives women AND men into bad relationships
- The executioners' lament
- How I became the heavyweight champion of the world
Subscribe to the Week