opinion briefs on this topic
The rare temblor that rattled Virginia on Tuesday had geologists dusting off their history books — while Californians snickered
In the first six months of 2011, the damage caused by natural catastrophes is a whopping $265 billion — surpassing the previous yearly record
Fire crews are fighting off approaching flames in an effort to protect one of the nation's preeminent nuclear labs
The second largest wildfire in Arizona's history is raging through the state, and crews only have 5 percent of it contained
The residents of Joplin, Mo. endured a devastating tornado this week, and, as these pictures show, they're not the only survivors of Mother Nature's wrath
A YouTube user huddled in a gas station keeps his camera rolling while a monster tornado rips through Joplin, Mo.
Tornadoes, which took an especially high toll on the American heartland this year, are still impossible to predict
Rising waters and thousands of flooded homes in the South are drawing comparisons to the Great Flood of 1927
A powerful twister rips through Tuscaloosa, Ala., killing dozens of people and uprooting hundreds of buildings
A riveting clip shows a monster storm ripping through the city's airport
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Conspiracy theories spread in the wake of Malaysia Airlines flight disappearance
- 13 ways to make eggs for dinner
Subscribe to the Week