Missouri is providing judges with figures on the relative costs of prison, probation, and other forms of punishment. Budget-minded or foolhardy?
Violent crime dropped by over 5 percent in 2009, says the F.B.I, even though far more people were out of work. What gives?
Ronnie Lee Gardner, a convicted murderer from Utah, last night became only the third man to be shot to death by the state since 1976. Here's a quick guide to this now-rare execution method
Florida has adopted forecasting software, produced by IBM, to target high-risk youths. Is this the beginning of a "Minority Report" future?
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week