opinion briefs on this topic
The president wants to downsize and modernize the mighty U.S. military to fit the nation's fiscal and tactical realities — and it's making some experts nervous
Can we afford to adopt the Defense Department's new strategy for slashing spending on weapons and troops? Can we afford not to?
Americans returning from war are far more likely to be jobless — and eventually homeless — than their civilian counterparts
Can a groundbreaking new procedure help the human body rebuild lost limbs much like a lizard regrows its tail?
The remains of fallen soldiers were lost, dumped in a landfill, and in one case, dismembered. A guide to the disturbing revelations
A complex new machine could help soldiers target unseen enemies — even if they're hiding in a concrete building
Soldiers at a base in Afghanistan have taken to having their brows shaved and threaded into precise arches. Commentators have taken to mocking them
Unmanned aircraft used by the Air Force for espionage and combat have been stung by malware. Should we be worried?
The conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq are costing, on average, $9.7 billion a month — roughly the equivalent of six space shuttle flights
A former U.S. military logistician calculates the staggering cost of keeping soldiers from broiling in the desert
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Battle in a blizzard
- The secrets of happy families
- Did God have a wife?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
Subscribe to the Week