opinion briefs on this topic
Record numbers of Syrian civilians, many of them children, are racing for the war-torn country's borders
Turkey, afraid of being overwhelmed by the exodus from Syria, wants help setting up havens within the war-ravaged country... but it doesn't have many takers
France's president, Francois Hollande, wants Syrian rebels to merge under one banner to present a united front against President Bashar al-Assad's regime
Shelling by government forces has forced Syrian rebels to pull back. Is this a turning point in the country's civil war?
Assad's newly appointed premier has reportedly joined the opposition, the latest blow to the strongman's beleaguered government
American officials say the Syrian president's days are numbered — but don't expect his countrymen to join hands and start singing "Kumbaya" anytime soon
The Assad regime insists it won't use WMD against its own people, reserving them instead to counter "external" threats — but what exactly does that mean?
A defector warns that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad won't hesitate to use his weapons of mass destruction if he gets cornered
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- China's massive pollution problem
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
Subscribe to the Week