opinion briefs on this topic
Moscow and Beijing block a United Nations effort to condemn Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. What is Russia hoping to gain?
In a rare interview, the isolated Syrian leader denies a lot — and convinces almost no one
The pressure on the Assad regime increases dramatically as his neighbors demand an end to the deadly repression of protesters. Is the tide turning?
The U.S. is finally telling Bashar al-Assad to leave power. But we're not the ones he'll listen to
The Arab world takes an extraordinary stand by condemning Bashar al-Assad's violent crackdown on peaceful protesters
The Syrian president blames "saboteurs" for his country's uprising, and pro-democracy protesters denounce him as a liar
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week