opinion briefs on this topic
The New York Daily News reports that Petraeus' former mistress sent Kelley 'menacing' emails that the Florida woman viewed as death threats
This tangled, tortured story of sex, national security, and jealous emails shows that truth really is stranger than fiction
New twists and dime-novel characters pop up daily, but the basic story of the celebrated general's downfall is falling into place
The rules, mostly written in 1775, aren't about religious morals, but good order and discipline
Paula Broadwell has predictably been cast as a femme fatale, revealing enduring prejudices against women
The media once gushed with hagiographic tributes to the general. But in light of tawdry revelations about his personal life, many former fans are reconsidering
In the best-selling video game, the disgraced former CIA boss is a proud and patriotic secretary of defense serving under a Hillary Clinton-style president
Congress needs to focus on a debt-reduction deal to protect the economy. But a tawdry sex scandal may prove to be a dangerous distraction
Who should President Obama choose to fill Petraeus' shoes? The decision could have enormous consequences for the CIA's growing role in the war on terror
Though law enforcement officials discovered Petraeus' affair as early as this summer, they kept President Obama and members of Congress in the dark
It didn't take long for the press to unearth the woman who fell for Petraeus and then inadvertently helped bring down his career
The most famous general of his generation ends his career in disgrace. And conservatives see more behind his resignation than his stated extramarital affair
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week