opinion briefs on this topic
The Palestinian Authority has given itself a new name — the State of Palestine. Is this a step toward making recognition at the U.N. a reality?
Palestinians cheer the status upgrade from the United Nations General Assembly. Many American lawmakers are less enthused
The Palestinian Authority is asking the United Nations General Assembly for a mostly symbolic status upgrade. How much good would that really do?
Mahmoud Abbas plans to request a controversial status upgrade from the United Nations — despite strident objections from Israel and the U.S.
Mitt Romney spent months accusing Obama of throwing Israel "under the bus." Obama's stance on Gaza might finally put such accusations to rest
The fate of the escalating conflict in the Middle East rests primarily on how effective machinery on both sides turns out to be
The latest round of fighting has underscored the need for a viable solution to halt the region's endless cycle of violence
Civilians on both sides of the conflict try to pick up the pieces of their lives amid the ongoing, escalating violence
Missiles that can reach once-safe Tel Aviv have made the war real in a whole new way for Israelis
The seasoned war reporter is visibly shaken on the air after a bomb explodes dangerously close to him
The threat of another Israeli ground invasion of Gaza is looming as Hamas rockets and Israeli bombers disrupt a brief truce
Israel is launching an all-out propaganda campaign on social media that includes chilling threats against senior Hamas leaders
Israel launches a major offensive against Palestinian militants — and for some reason, broadcasts the attacks live via social media
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week