opinion briefs on this topic
State lawmakers tentatively agree on a budget to get the state government up and running again — but only after the Democratic governor caves
The North Star State's shutdown is starting to hit people where it hurts: Their corner bar. Is anyone thriving in Minnesota?
A recent Harvard study suggests that attending a July 4 parade during childhood increases the likelihood of becoming a card-carrying Republican later in life
A California congressional race has taken a nasty turn with a bigoted attack ad against Democrat Janice Hahn — but she may get the last laugh
The fiscally conservative New Jersey governor faces a PR backlash after taking a police helicopter to his son's baseball game. Is this a political gift to Dems?
An "astounding" report details the shady coverup of a scandalous affair — and could mean criminal charges for the disgraced former senator
President Obama's focus on big-stakes challenges — such as the killing of al Qaeda's leader — might just force the Right to drop birtherism and other fringe issues
In a "stunning blow to his leadership," the House speaker watches 59 Republicans defect in Thursday's big budget vote
Tea Party Nation's Judson Phillips, irate that the House speaker cut a budget deal with Democrats, claims his movement will "fire" the Ohio Republican in 2012
Republicans will have to woo the nation's fastest-growing minority group to ward off future electoral failure, some commentators warn
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week