opinion briefs on this topic
State lawmakers tentatively agree on a budget to get the state government up and running again — but only after the Democratic governor caves
The North Star State's shutdown is starting to hit people where it hurts: Their corner bar. Is anyone thriving in Minnesota?
A recent Harvard study suggests that attending a July 4 parade during childhood increases the likelihood of becoming a card-carrying Republican later in life
A California congressional race has taken a nasty turn with a bigoted attack ad against Democrat Janice Hahn — but she may get the last laugh
The fiscally conservative New Jersey governor faces a PR backlash after taking a police helicopter to his son's baseball game. Is this a political gift to Dems?
An "astounding" report details the shady coverup of a scandalous affair — and could mean criminal charges for the disgraced former senator
President Obama's focus on big-stakes challenges — such as the killing of al Qaeda's leader — might just force the Right to drop birtherism and other fringe issues
In a "stunning blow to his leadership," the House speaker watches 59 Republicans defect in Thursday's big budget vote
Tea Party Nation's Judson Phillips, irate that the House speaker cut a budget deal with Democrats, claims his movement will "fire" the Ohio Republican in 2012
Republicans will have to woo the nation's fastest-growing minority group to ward off future electoral failure, some commentators warn
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- What makes a word the word of the year?
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 5 reasons child pageants are bad for kids
- The executioners' lament
Subscribe to the Week