Cartoon View: Unsolicited praise
It may well be that the president's best nominee to be America's next CIA director is a chastened Petraeus
The country's largest brick-and-mortar retailer is trying to beat Amazon at its own game
The tween idol is trading in her trademark role as a chaste vampire girlfriend for a racy romp in Jack Kerouac's On the Road. Does she pull it off?
Days after stepping down as CIA director, Petraeus agrees to tell Congress what he knows about the deadly attack on U.S. diplomats in Libya
Environmentalists are hailing new auto rules as a key step in reducing greenhouse gas emissions — but Mitt Romney says the regulations go way too far
On the heels of Kermit's big-screen triumph, Elmo and Co. announce their own plan to capitalize on nostalgia
A month after inviting scorn by suggesting that women don't get pregnant from "legitimate rape," Missouri's Republican Senate candidate is in hot water again
In Italy, six scientists are being tried for manslaughter after failing to predict a 2009 earthquake that killed 309 people
The tech giant is conspicuously absent from the world's most widely cited stock index, and some say it's time for Apple to take its rightful place at the top
The ubiquitous coffee chain hopes to expand into your kitchen, offering a new home brewer that can re-create the company's signature lattes and espressos
Mitt Romney's big win over President Obama last week has really raised the stakes for Thursday's showdown between their running mates
Pakistanis are united in condemning a brazen attack on a 14-year-old girl, but it's an open question whether this anger will translate into real change
A nonprofit organization gives a bullied teen free plastic surgery, but is going under the knife the right way to address the taunting?
The White House says Obama will "reject the views in this video" when he speaks to world leaders this week, instead of just outright ignoring the YouTube film
more on The Anti-Islam-Film Riots
California's beaches are gleaming like a "beautiful hallucination" — and surfers are stoked. What's behind this nocturnal lightshow?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week