Five filters you should be refreshing
Tip of the week...
▪ Furnace. The filter on your furnace is crucial to maintaining healthy air—“especially if you own pets, smoke, or have asthma or allergies.” Replace it every 30 to 90 days of furnace use, and that will help keep the furnace running too.
▪ Humidifier. Single-room humidifiers have mesh filters that should be cleaned every few weeks. Change the water-filter pad in a whole-house humidifier once or twice a year.
▪ Vacuum cleaner. Disposable vacuum bags are meant to act like filters, so replace them whenever they’re two-thirds full. A bag stuffed with dust can burn out a motor.
▪ Refrigerator. Fridges with ice makers and water dispensers often have water filters that should be replaced every six months.
▪ Dryer. Empty the mesh lint catcher after every load to avoid creating a fire hazard. If it gets ripped, replace it, because you don’t want lint traveling into the exhaust duct. Source: The Washington Post ■