as not seen on TV
November 5, 2018

A highly contentious political ad from President Trump will no longer be airing on two major networks.

Fox News said Monday that "upon further review," a controversial ad about immigration was pulled from both Fox News and the Fox Business Network, CNN's Brian Stelter reports.

The commercial in question, paid for by Trump's campaign, attempts to gin up fear ahead of the midterms by focusing on an undocumented immigrant convicted of murder, baselessly connecting to the caravan of Central American migrants seeking asylum in the United States. CNN had refused to run the ad, calling it racist.

NBC also decided to pull the ad after it aired to millions of viewers during Sunday Night Football. This sparked fierce backlash, including from NBC star Debra Messing, who called it "disgusting."

Producer Judd Apatow, who has previously worked with NBC, called for an explanation, criticizing the network for "promoting racism." On Monday, NBC said it had pulled the ad "after further review" due to its "insensitive nature."

Facebook pulled the ad as well, after also facing criticism, reports The Daily Beast. On Twitter, Trump 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale accused NBC, CNN, and Facebook of supporting "those ILLEGALLY IN THIS COUNTRY" by refusing to run the ad. He did not mention Fox News. Brendan Morrow

See More Speed Reads