A class action lawsuit against Apple over the App Store may earn a go-ahead from the Supreme Court
The court is currently reviewing a case concerning whether Apple is operating an illegal monopoly with its App Store, reports NBC News. The consumers' argument is essentially that Apple drives the price of apps on the store higher when it charges developers a 30 percent commission fee, since that fee ultimately results in higher prices. The plaintiffs argue Apple is in violation of antitrust laws, while Apple argues there is no legitimate claim because the company does not have a role in determining the price of apps in the App Store, The Washington Post reports. Apple has also argued that only app developers themselves would have standing to sue, per CNBC.
Oral arguments in the case began Monday, and The Associated Press reports that the court appears to be leaning toward allowing the suit to move ahead. USA Today reports that the court's four liberal-leaning judges were "skeptical of Apple's monopoly," and their skepticism was at times echoed by Associate Justices Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh. The court is not ruling on the actual case, but rather whether consumers have standing to sue Apple.
If the suit does move forward, and Apple doesn't win, CNBC reports the tech giant could be required to pay iPhone users hundreds of millions of dollars. Brendan Morrow
After the White House suspended CNN reporter Jim Acosta's press credentials last week, the news network filed a lawsuit Tuesday, arguing that Acosta's First and Fifth Amendment rights are being violated, CNN reports.
There are six defendants in the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.: President Trump, White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications Bill Shine, Secret Service Director Joseph Clancy, and an unnamed Secret Service officer who took away Acosta's pass.
Acosta's access was suspended after he would not give over the microphone to a White House intern while attempting to ask Trump a follow-up question at a press conference. The White House subsequently claimed that Acosta was being suspended because he "[placed] his hands on a young woman," releasing a deceptively sped-up video as proof. Counselor Kellyanne Conway defended this decision Sunday. "You have to show respect to the White House, to the presidency certainly, to the president," she said.
The network is seeking a preliminary injunction so that Acosta's pass can be returned, as well as a ruling that Trump can not take such actions in the future. "If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials," CNN said. Brendan Morrow