on the run
August 13, 2017

The man behind Saturday's Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, which ended with a counter-protester being killed when she was hit by a car, was chased off by protesters Sunday during a press conference.

Organizer Jason Kessler took absolutely no responsibility for the violent protest, attended by hundreds of white supremacists, saying in a statement released before the press conference that "police purposefully created the catastrophe that led to a melee in the streets of Charlottesville and the death of a counter-protester." As he tried to talk, a crowd shouted him down, with some banging on trash cans and one man playing the trombone. Several people held signs, which read "Nazis go home" and "Hate has no home here," and chanted "Shame on you! Shame on you!"

Kessler was able to speak for a few minutes before two people moved toward him, including one who had been cursing at him, CNN reports. Kessler then ran off, and Virginia State Police said a Charlottesville man was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery after a state trooper saw him spit on Kessler when he was fleeing. Later, Kessler tweeted, "The First Amendment is finished it seems." Catherine Garcia

May 10, 2016

Robert Stackowitz walked away from a minimum security prison in Georgia in 1968, where he had been sentenced to serve 17 years for robbery by force. Nearly 50 years later, authorities have finally tracked him down.

Stackowitz had reportedly been living for at least 26 years in a small Connecticut town near the state's border with New York, where he owned a home. He was arrested by state troopers and U.S. marshals Monday and charged with being a fugitive from justice, The Hartford Courant reports.

Stackowitz was originally arrested in 1966. After being convicted, he escaped from the Carroll County Correctional Institution two years later. Five months ago, the Georgia Department of Corrections Fugitive Apprehension unit reopened the case and tracked down Stackowitz by matching the photo on his driver's license with the one they had on file.

"Once it was confirmed, they contacted the U.S. Marshal's Service in the area to assist with the arrest," Georgia prison system spokeswoman Gwendolyn Hogan said. Jeva Lange

October 17, 2015

Fugitive drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán was believed to be injured recently as he evaded capture, CNN reports the Mexican government said in a statement Friday.

El Chapo has been on the run since he escaped from a maximum security prison in July, reportedly exiting through a mile-long tunnel he arranged to construct.

Authorities did not say exactly where or when the operation to recapture him took place, or how the top drug lord sustained injuries to his face and leg, only specifying that they were "not the result of a direct confrontation." Julie Kliegman

August 30, 2015

Authorities in Brazil are searching for a mayor accused of stealing funds from schools and running her town via a mobile messenger app.

Prosecutors say that instead of living in Bom Jardim, Lidiane Leite, 25, resided 170 miles away in Sao Luis, the capital of Maranhao state. They say Leite — who was elected after her then-boyfriend, Beto Rocha, was barred from running for mayor in 2012 for alleged corruption — would use WhatsApp to check in with her cabinet, running the town's affairs remotely.

Leite took off when she was mentioned as part of Operation Eden, which discovered that $4 million earmarked for Bom Jardim's school was gone, the BBC reports. Bom Jardim is in one of the country's poorest states, and teachers in the town now aren't being paid. An arrest warrant was issued Thursday, and the town's new mayor was sworn in Saturday, promising to support a full investigation into the missing money. Leite's attorney, Carlos Barros, denies that his client did anything wrong. "She was too young and inexperienced when she took office," he said. "She lacked confidence and delegated many tasks to Mr. Rocha." Catherine Garcia

March 19, 2015

A fired LAPD officer charged with murder remains at large, and a federal warrant says he fled to Texas with assistance from his father.

Henry Solis, 27, was charged Tuesday with fatally shooting Salome Rodriguez Jr. on March 13 in a parking lot in Pomona, California. Earlier, Solis and Rodriguez had been at the nearby Vive Tequila Lounge and Nightclub, and Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said the shooting was "fueled by alcohol," the Los Angeles Times reports. In an affidavit, Special Agent Scott F. Garriola said that before skipping town, Solis "made incriminating statements about his role in the murder of Rodriguez," and said he would never be seen again.

Solis' father, Victor, admitted to FBI agents that he drove his son to El Paso and dropped him off at a bus station, but says he does not know where he is currently. Solis was a U.S. Marine before joining the LAPD in June, and because he was a probationary employee, Beck had the legal authority to fire him faster than if he had tenure. On Tuesday, Beck had a message for Solis during a news conference: "You have dishonored this police department, your country and your service to the country, and your family. And you should turn yourself in and face the consequences of your actions." Catherine Garcia

See More Speed Reads