paris attacks
November 12, 2016

The music venue where gunmen loyal to the Islamic State killed 90 people on Nov. 13, 2015, will reopen Saturday night one year after the attacks with a performance led by Sting. The 1,000-ticket concert at the Bataclan sold out in 30 minutes.

Some survivors of last November's Paris attacks, in which the Bataclan was one target of several locations around France's capital city, are expected to attend. Counselors will be on site for anyone who needs them. The families of those who were killed have all been given tickets, and proceeds from the concert will support two charities helping survivors.

Sting previously played the Bataclan as lead singer of The Police in the late 1970s. His most recent album, 57th & 9th, dropped Friday. Bonnie Kristian

June 14, 2016

On Tuesday morning, French President Francois Holland and Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve called the stabbing death of two police officials on Monday "a terrorist act." Two unidentified French officials tell The Associated Press that the assailant is a 25-year-old suburban Paris resident named Larossi Abbala, who was reportedly sentenced to three years in prison in 2013 on terrorism charges tied to recruiting jihadis in Pakistan. The attacker fatally stabbed the police officer outside his home in the Parisian suburb of Magnaville, then took his female partner, also a police official, and a child hostage.

When antiterrorism police stormed the apartment after unsuccessful hostage negotiations, in which Abbala reportedly claimed allegiance to the Islamic State, they found the woman dead but the child alive. The attacker was killed in the raid. Hollande and Cazeneuve both compared the attack to the murder of 49 people in Orlando, Florida, early Sunday morning, with Hollande warning that France still faces a "very large scale" terrorism threat and Cazeneuve saying that France has arrested more than 100 people viewed as potential threats this year, including in recent weeks, as France prepares to host a major European soccer tournament. Peter Weber

December 24, 2015

A 30-year-old Belgian man was arrested Tuesday in Belgium on murder and terrorism charges related to the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris, Belgian authorities announced Thursday. The arrest of the suspect, identified only as Abdoullah C., took place after an investigative judge issued a warrant for participation in the activities of a terrorist organization.

Abdoullah C. is believed to have been in contact with Hasna Aitboulahcen, a relative of Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the suspected ringleader of the Nov. 13 attacks. Aitboulahcen, Abaaoud, and another man were killed by police in a Nov. 18 raid, and officials say Abdoullah C. had contacted Aitboulahcen between Nov. 13 and Nov. 18.

Abdoullah C. is the ninth suspect arrested in connection with the incident, though authorities delayed announcing his detention so as to avoid tipping off any accomplices, The New York Times reports. A hearing Thursday will determine the length of his detention. Kimberly Alters

November 23, 2015

Belgian police charged one man Monday in connection with the deadly Nov. 13 terrorist attacks in Paris, a federal prosecutor said. The unnamed man, the fourth suspect Belgium has charged in the attacks, was detained during Sunday terror raids aiming to prevent imminent attacks by Islamist extremist terrorists.

The other 15 people police detained in Sunday's raids were released without charges, The Associated Press reports.

Brussels, Belgium's capital, has been on lockdown under the highest level of terror alert since Saturday. Belgian authorities said schools and subway system may open again Wednesday, BBC News reports. Julie Kliegman

November 21, 2015

The United Nations Security Council unanimously passed a resolution Friday urging countries to take "all necessary measures" to fight the Islamic State, following Nov. 13's deadly terrorist attacks in Paris.

The 15-0 vote included Russia, a nation that has been at diplomatic odds with western countries in Syria, where ISIS has a strong presence. The U.N. agreement did not authorize the use of force, but called for the removal of ISIS "safe havens" in Syria and Iraq, The New York Times reports.

French ambassador François Delattre said the vote "recognizes the exceptional nature of the Daesh threat," using the terrorist group's Arabic name. Julie Kliegman

November 18, 2015

After taking into account the number of weapons that were purchased, explosives that were made, and housing and transportation, it's likely the deadly attacks in Paris on Friday cost $10,000 or less.

"Terrorism is not an expensive sport," a former senior Treasury Department official told NBC News, and a senior counterterrorism official said the most high-priced items would have been AK-47s purchased on the black market.

The total cost of an attack depends on the size and location; the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen likely cost between $5,000 to $10,000, since Aden is the poorest place on the Arabian Peninsula, NBC News says. The 2002 suicide and car bombings in Bali cost $74,000, and was more expensive because it took place in a resort area, with higher prices for lodging. The Sept. 11, 2001, attacks were expensive due to the scale of the operation, which included travel and pilot training. A 9/11 Commission report found that the attacks cost $500,000, with $300,000 going to living expenses; at the time, the CIA estimates al Qaeda had a $35 million budget. The plotters didn't end up spending all of their money, and $26,000 was sent back to al Qaeda shortly before Sept. 11. Catherine Garcia

November 17, 2015

As recently as a few weeks ago, Western military forces were trying to locate Belgian national Abdelhamid Abaaoud in Syria, with the aim of killing him in an airstrike, Western security officials tell The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. French and other Western authorities say that Abaaoud is the likely mastermind behind Friday's attacks in Paris that killed 132 people, though they weren't aware of the Paris plot when they tried and failed to kill him in Syria. They also aren't sure if killing Abaaoud would have prevented or slowed the Paris attack, or if the Islamic State-linked perpetrators would have carried on without him, The Wall Street Journal reports.

European officials say that Abaaoud moved to Syria in 2014 with his 13-year-old brother, then snuck back into Belgium to plan and carry out a terrorist attack in Verviers involving beheading police officers. When police foiled that attack and shot two of Abaaoud's suspected accomplices, he escaped to Syria again, later bragging about evading European authorities in ISIS's magazine. A Belgian court convicted Abaaoud in absentia of recruiting jihadis earlier this year. Western intelligence had been monitoring his communications with Europe, but they didn't strike in part because they weren't sure if it was Abaaoud, 27, or his teenage brother contacting Europe.

Abaaoud may still be in Syria, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, told The New York Times on Monday. The Moroccan-born militant is probably part of a recently formed ISIS cell whose goal is to plan and carry out terrorist attacks in France and elsewhere in Europe, Schiff said, but "there are some very large missing parts," like how much of the Paris plot was organized in Syria and how much was left to the individual attackers. The Wall Street Journal has more about Abaaoud and some other people involved in the Paris attacks in the video below. Peter Weber

November 16, 2015

Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump suggested that in light of terrorist attacks carried out by the Islamic State in Paris and elsewhere, the U.S. should start thinking about shutting down mosques, which he said are the source of some "absolute hatred."

"Well, I would hate to do it, but it's something you're going to have to strongly consider," Trump said Monday on MSNBC's Morning Joe, adding that he knows some Muslims who are "unbelievably great people."

At the very least, Trump said, the U.S. should monitor mosques more closely for Muslim extremism.

"You're going to have to watch and study the mosques because a lot of talk is going on at the mosques. And from what I heard, in the old days, meaning a while ago, we had great surveillance going on in and around mosques in New York City," he said. Trump then added that he thought Mayor Bill de Blasio had done away with that, but quickly hedged: "I'm not sure that's a fact."

Check out Trump's full interview below. Julie Kliegman

See More Speed Reads