san Bernardino shooting
September 10, 2016

The Justice Department and the Police Foundation released a report Friday on 2015's mass shooting by Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, in San Bernardino, California. The 141-page document describes the attack in detail and recounts the accomplishments and challenges of first responders on the scene.

"It was the worst thing imaginable — some people were quiet, hiding, others were screaming or dying, grabbing at your legs because they wanted us to get them out, but our job at the moment was to keep going," said one officer. "That was the hardest part, stepping over them." The report says three of the shooters' victims made a brave but ultimately unsuccessful effort to stop the attack, and some of the county employees targeted initially believed they were experiencing a realistic emergency training drill.

The report concludes that though the police response was "exemplary," it could be streamlined by better coordination and protocols. Farook and Malik killed 14 people and injured 22 more after pledging allegiance to the Islamic State. Bonnie Kristian

December 7, 2015

Both suspects in the San Bernardino, California, shooting that killed 14 people had been radicalized "for some time," and had participated in target practice as recently as days before the Dec. 3 shooting, the FBI said Monday. Investigators are still looking into whether the suspects had links to any foreign terrorist groups, the Los Angeles Times reports.

The husband and wife, Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, allegedly had 19 pipes in their apartment that could have been used to make bombs, FBI assistant director David Bowdich said in a news conference.

The Islamic State has claimed the suspects, who died exchanging gunfire with police after the shooting, were "followers" of the group. Julie Kliegman

December 5, 2015

In an online radio broadcast Saturday, the Islamic State claimed that the suspected shooters who killed 14 in a San Bernardino, California, attack Wednesday were "followers" of the terrorist group, Reuters reports.

Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 29, died in a shootout with police hours after the attack on the local environmental health department, which also left 21 injured.

Facebook confirmed Friday that around the time of the shooting, comments posted on an alias account established by Malik praised ISIS. The FBI said Friday it is investigating the shooting as an "act of terrorism." Julie Kliegman

December 4, 2015

Months before Syed Farook and his wife allegedly fired hundreds of rounds of ammunition on Farook's co-workers in San Bernardino, California, they threw him a baby shower.

Farook had set up a baby registry at Target for his newborn daughter, asking for the standards, like "a car seat, diapers, and safety swabs," The New York Times reports. At the shower, his co-workers at the San Bernardino Country Department of Health asked when they would be meeting his wife, Tashfeen Malik. They never expected they would meet her Wednesday, when she allegedly helped Farook kill 14 people and injure 21 more after opening fire during an all-staff meeting in a conference room at Inland Regional Center.

From the outside, Farook and Malik's coupling seemed rather ordinary. They met online on a Muslim dating site. Malik, 27, was from Pakistan and had just gotten a conditional green card. Farook, 28, was born in Illinois and raised in Southern California, and he had a degree in environmental engineering from California State University. He was a regular mosque-goer, won performance awards at work, and was generally seen as "peaceful and quiet." "He got along with everybody," one of Farook's coworkers, Chris Nwadike, told The Washington Post.

But apparently, appearances can be deceiving. What started out as just another workday on Wednesday quickly became a day marred by tragedy. Anticipating hours of speeches and educational seminars, Farook's coworker made their inside joke that morning: "Ready to be bored?" Farook responded: "I'm ready." Becca Stanek

December 4, 2015

Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, the husband-and-wife team presumed to have murdered 14 people and wounding 21 others at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California, attempted to destroy their digital media, law enforcement sources tell ABC News. When police searched their residence, they found that all cellphones, computer hard drives, and any other devices with digital memory had been smashed.

As investigators try to piece together a motive for the mass shooting, text messages, emails, and other digital communications could prove critical, and FBI computer forensic analysis will try to retrieve information from the damaged memory modules. But, as one official told ABC News, these digital recovery teams "are not miracle workers." Law enforcement will also try to get relevant emails and text messages from any phone company or internet providers. Peter Weber

December 3, 2015

Lt. Mike Madden was the first officer to arrive at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino on Wednesday, and at a press conference Thursday night he called the scene of the deadliest mass shooting in the U.S. since Newtown a "tragedy I've never experienced in my career."

A 24-year veteran of the San Bernardino Police Department, Madden shared the horror he saw when he entered the building with three other officers. "It was immediately evident that victims were clearly deceased outside of the conference room," he said. "It was surreal. It was unspeakable, the carnage we were seeing, the number of people injured and unfortunately already dead, and the pure panic on the faces of those individuals still needing to be safe."

It was chaos inside, Madden said, with fire alarms and sprinklers going off, and people "obviously injured and in great amounts of pain, that was evident in the moans and wails we were hearing in the room." Madden said although it was a "difficult choice to make," the officers had to move past people in need of assistance in order to get further into the building. "When we entered, there was fresh gunpowder and the smell of gunpowder in the air, leading me to believe the shooters were still there," he said.

Officers found about 50 people in a back hallway, too scared to leave. "They did not want to come to us," he said. "They were fearful. They were in a hallway, and it heightened my concern that potentially the suspects were in there, holding them hostage and waiting for us to enter. We had to tell them several times to come to us, and once the first person took motion that opened the floodgates and everyone wanted to get away as quickly as possible." Inside the conference room, where the Department of Public Health was holding a training and holiday luncheon, Madden saw a Christmas tree and tables set up. "It just seemed so senseless," he said. "Here are people going into holiday festivities, and now they're dealing with this."

December 3, 2015

CBS News has obtained photos of explosive devices related to Wednesday's mass shooting in San Bernardino — one shows a device left behind at the Inland Regional Center during the massacre, the other a duffle bag with pipe bombs found at the home of the suspects.

Three explosive devices were left at the facility, and the image shows a toy car with a remote device, attached to three pipes and wires. At the home of Syed Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, investigators found, in addition to the duffle bag, 12 pipe bombs and 3,000 rounds of ammunition. They also found more items necessary to make additional explosive devices, including Christmas tree lights (to serve as a fuse), radio controlled cars (for triggering mechanisms), and smokeless gun powder.

Law enforcement sources told CBS News the devices are nearly identical to bombs constructed using instructions from an al Qaeda publication called Inspire. They said authorities are not sure yet if the suspects used the steps in the "How to build a bomb in the kitchen of your mom" article or instructions from elsewhere. Catherine Garcia

December 3, 2015

The 14 victims of Wednesday's mass shooting in San Bernardino were identified Thursday by the San Bernardino County Coroner's Office.

They are: Robert Adams, 40; Isaac Amanios, 60; Bennetta Bet-Badal, 46; Harry Bowman, 46; Sierra Clayborn, 27; Juan Espinoza, 50; Aurora Godoy, 26; Shannon Johnson, 45; Larry Kaufman, 42; Damian Meins, 58; Tin Nguyen, 31; Nicholas Thalasinos, 52; Yvette Velasco, 27; and Michael Wetzel, 37.

Wetzel, a father of six, was remembered by his wife, Renee, as being "the most amazing person. He loved his work and his family so very much," she said in a statement. "Without him, this family will never be the same." A spokesman for the family said he was at a meeting inside the Inland Regional Center when the shooting started. Catherine Garcia

See More Speed Reads