that makes sense
May 21, 2020

President Trump briefly had everyone convinced he had contracted coronavirus.

In his attempt to spin some excitement into his daily coronavirus test reveal, Trump told reporters that he "tested very positively" for COVID-19 on Thursday. But in case his flipping hand motions didn't make it clear, Trump quickly clarified. "I tested positively toward negative, right. I tested perfectly this morning." Then Trump tried one more time to coin his new phrase: "That's a way of saying it: positively toward the negative."

Watch the whole tongue twister below. Kathryn Krawczyk

April 3, 2020

President Trump is admittedly not doing everything he can to stop the spread of COVID-19.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a recommendation for all Americans to wear cloth masks when in public around people, Trump announced at Friday's coronavirus task force press conference. Trump then repeatedly clarified that the recommendation is "voluntary," and declared that he won't be wearing a mask at all.

Americans are being asked to wear cloth masks when going outside around others. It'll add an extra layer of protection against transmitting COVID-19 even if someone who has the virus is asymptomatic, while saving medical-grade N95 masks for health care workers who desperately need them, Surgeon General Jerome Adams said Friday. Los Angeles and New York City recently issued the same recommendation, and a Thursday report indicated the CDC's recommendation was coming.

When Trump was asked why he wouldn't wear a mask, he said he was "feeling fine," and then implied that it would be odd to be "sitting in the Oval Office, behind that beautiful Resolute Desk" in a mask while meeting "presidents, prime ministers, dictators," and so on. It's unclear which world leaders would be dropping by the Oval Office given the current climate. Kathryn Krawczyk

June 25, 2019

If anyone needs to hear this, John F. Kennedy Jr. is dead.

Believers in the far-right circle of QAnon have long held the conspiracy that the son of the former president didn't die in a 1999 plane crash. And now, they've put a fresh spin on it, suggesting on their message boards at QMap that President Trump is set to announce the definitely deceased JFK Jr. as his 2020 running mate, NBC News Ben Collins reports.

A solid bunch of Trump supporters have long believed in "Q," someone with a high level of government clearance who allegedly shares coded messages hinting at Trump's purported efforts to uproot Democrats, Hollywood elites, and the so-called deep state as a whole. They've been seen sporting Q shirts at Trump events, and were out in full force at Trump's campaign launch last week. But Q hasn't been heard from in a month, prompting believers to post extended prayers for their safe return.

Some QAnon believers think there's a reason for Q's absence: They're saving a big announcement for the Fourth of July. As Collins put it in a tweet, "The more delusional Q fans" think Kennedy Jr. himself will reveal July 4 that he's alive and that he's replacing Vice President Mike Pence on the 2020 ticket.

Trump has said he's committed to keeping Pence on the 2020 ticket, but Q would probably find some way to spin the words that came out of the president's mouth. Kathryn Krawczyk

April 1, 2019

President Trump's ever-changing immigration policies might even be confusing his own administration.

As various government departments and agencies continue to churn out border rules and regulations, Trump has considered hiring a "border" or "immigration czar" to keep them all straight, The Associated Press reports. Top candidates for the job include former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli and former Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, three sources say.

What started with Trump's simple promise to build a wall has grown into a pile of immigration policies and efforts. The Department of Homeland Security is tasked with detaining immigrants, the Department of Health and Human Services is supposed to be taking care of them, and the Justice Department focuses on getting them through the legal system so they can be released, but if the skyrocketing number of migrant detentions at the border and the growing immigration court backlog is any indication, that's not going so well.

Trump already has anti-immigration hardliner Stephen Miller as a senior adviser, but whoever is chosen for the immigration czar position would "coordinate the president's immigration policies across various federal agencies," AP reports. Cuccinelli and Kobach have both shared some pretty harsh words about immigration, and Kobach has the distinct advantage of being a Trump administration czar in the past. The failed Kansas gubernatorial candidate once led Trump's "election integrity commission," which spent its seven-month existence purportedly fighting voter fraud.

Read more about Trump's immigration coordination at The Associated Press. Kathryn Krawczyk

March 26, 2019

President Trump's personal Twitter is only personal sometimes.

That's what the Department of Justice claimed Tuesday in an ongoing lawsuit, fighting back against Twitter users who argue being blocked from @realDonaldTrump violates their constitutional rights. A DOJ attorney conceded that yes, Trump's tweets are official, but said when he "blocks individuals from his personal Twitter account," he "is doing so in his personal capacity," CNN reports.

A handful of users first launched the lawsuit against Trump after he ignored a June 2017 request to unblock them. A U.S. District Court in New York ruled in their favor last May, saying Trump's Twitter feed was a "public forum," and by blocking users, he was violating the First Amendment.

A subsequent DOJ appeal brought the case back to court on Tuesday, where Judge Barrington Parker seemed to make his opinion on the matter pretty clear. Parker listed off a slew of announcements made on @realDonaldTrump that seemed pretty official, including a new Federal Reserve board member and revocation of North Korean sanctions, The Washington Post notes. "Are you seriously urging us to believe the president isn't acting in his official capacity when he’s tweeting?" Parker asked, going on to question why a public DOJ defender was representing Trump in a so-called private matter.

Trump unblocked at least 20 accounts in August, though as of Tuesday, at least seven plaintiffs in the case remain blocked. Kathryn Krawczyk

See More Speed Reads