unrepentant
November 5, 2019

Even ahead of his impending rape trial, disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein reportedly still expects to be "welcomed back" to his old life.

That's according to a new CNN report that cites those close to Weinstein two months before he's set to stand trial in New York after facing allegations of sexual abuse from more than 80 women. Weinstein, according to the report, is not only not "sorry" about his alleged sexual misconduct but is "combative, maintains he is innocent of any crime and is planning for a career comeback post-trial."

Weinstein, who reportedly spends much of his time alone in his apartment "constantly" Googling himself, appears to be "in denial" about his situation, the report also says, as evidenced by the fact that he fully intends to continue producing movies, and possibly set up a production company in Europe, if he's acquitted.

"He feels like he is owed an apology from Hollywood," a friend of Weinstein's told CNN. "I think there's a part of him that thinks he will come out on the other side of this and be welcomed back to some version of his old life." Another source said, "He seems more upset that he's been stripped of his power and less about trying to take this as an opportunity to become a changed man."

Weinstein recently made a rare public appearance at a New York event for actors, where several women confronted him. A comedian, Kelly Bachman, also called out Weinstein in her stand-up set, only for some in the crowd to boo her. "I'm not surprised that anyone would boo me for calling out a man accused of rape, because that response is so terrifyingly familiar to me and most survivors," she later wrote in a New York Times op-ed.

Weinstein's trial is set to begin on Jan. 6. Brendan Morrow

June 24, 2019

A government watchdog will criticize White House counselor Kellyanne Conway's "unacceptable" and "unlawful" behavior while testifying before Congress this week.

The Office of Special Counsel recommended earlier this month that Conway be fired for "repeatedly" violating the Hatch Act, which limits the political activities federal employees can engage in, and Special Counsel Henry Kerner will discuss this while testifying before the House Committee on Oversight and Reform on Wednesday, The Daily Beast reports.

In an opening statement released on Monday, Kerner criticizes Conway for her "egregious and repeated Hatch Act violations," as well as her "unrepentant attitude," which he says are "unacceptable from any federal employee, let alone one in such a prominent position."

"Her conduct hurts both federal employees, who may believe that senior officials can act with complete disregard for the Hatch Act, and the American people, who may question the nonpartisan operation of their government," he writes.

Kerner goes on to again lay out why it was "inappropriate" and "unlawful" for Conway to "argue in support of President Trump's reelection and in opposition to the election of the Democratic Party's candidates for president" in her official capacity as a White House official. He also notes that the Office of Special Counsel has had to issue multiple reports about Conway's violations. "Ms. Conway's conduct reflects not a misunderstanding of the law, but rather a disregard for it," he therefore concludes.

Conway has denied that she violated the Hatch Act, saying in a Monday interview on Fox News, "they want to silence me." Trump has said he has no plans to fire Conway. Brendan Morrow

See More Speed Reads