Speed Reads

Developing story

State of emergency declared in Tunisia following deadly explosion on bus

At least 12 members of the president's security guard were killed and 20 injured Tuesday evening in Tunis after an explosion ripped through a bus.

Tunisian President Béji Caïd Essebsi called it a "cowardly terrorist attack," and declared a 30-day state of emergency and a nightly curfew starting at 9 p.m. Witnesses said they heard an explosion and saw the bus go up in flames, and a source told Reuters the blast was likely caused by a suicide bomber. "We're going into this war with everything we have," Essebsi said in a televised address after the attack. "Victory will always be on Tunisia's side."

This is the third major attack by militants in Tunisia this year, and took place on Mohammed V Avenue near Avenue Habib Bourguiba, where several landmarks and ministry headquarters are located, The New York Times reports. After the attacks in Paris and Beirut earlier in November, Tunisian authorities stepped up patrols around the city, deploying soldiers and police officers. No organization has claimed responsibility yet for the bombing.