Men spend more time in the driver's seat than women — it's a fact. That means that when a couple gets in the car, it's overwhelmingly the man who's behind the wheel. Eric Morris, in The New York Times' Freakonomics blog, crunches the numbers and finds that the stereotype holds true even in self-described "feminist" households. The question is, why?
The answer's obvious. Sexism: The only reasonable explanation is sexism, says Amanda Marcotte in Slate's Double X. "Letting women take control is considered emasculating in our culture and even pro-feminist men are not immune." Obviously, women drive just as well as men — if men are secure enough to let them.
"Women drivers, heh, heh"
Men are better at parking: Women drive fine, says Claudia Wolf of Germany's Ruhr University, in Britain's Daily Telegraph, but they take 20 seconds longer than men to park and still don't fit in the parking spot, according to our research. It's no "massive failing by women," there are just spatial differences that make parking easier for men.
"Women worse at parking than men, study shows"
Relax. Men just drive more: The man-behind-the-wheel phenomenon might be a "remnant from the cult of domesticity, or maybe a residual chivalrous custom," says Lily Bixler in Current. The truth is more likely that because men work more hours, they just spend more time behind the wheel, period.
"Move over lady and let him rev the engine"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week