In this week's installment of Unsavory Confessions of a Food Writer: Sometimes, late on a Sunday night, I will indulge in boxed macaroni and cheese for dinner. And yes, I'm inevitably struck with regret, usually during the precise moment when I'm wearily tearing that packet of fluorescent orange faux cheese powder open.
I'm not turning my nose up at the boxed stuff — I'll forever carry a torch for childhood staples and drunk dorm food — but a few bites in, I remember that with just a half hour's worth more effort, I could be eating something infinitely more satisfying.
Here's how to upgrade your macaroni and cheese:
1. Crack open a beer and put on Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours." Laugh at your own "Fleetwood Mac and Cheese" joke for a few minutes. Then, really, truly listen to the lyrics of "Dreams." Get a little misty-eyed and down the rest of your beer.
2. Boil your water and cook your pasta — it's best to stick to small shapes like elbows, bowties, or shells.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan, then stir in flour and keep stirring the mixture until it browns slightly. Take your pan off the heat and add milk while continually whisking the two for a few minutes. Return your pan to the heat, then stir until all the contents start to thicken.
4. Now, take your pan off the heat again and add cheese. You're going to want to start with a base of a slightly harder, grating cheese — think cheddar or smoked Gouda. Once your pasta and cheese are combined, you can certainly add softer cheeses such as brie or goat cheese for a different flavor profile.
5. Add your drained pasta to the completed cheese sauce and stir thoroughly.
6. At this point, you can eat as-is, bake, or add additional vegetables or proteins.
Here are some recipes to get you started:
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week