The United States conducted a successful intercontinental ballistic missile test Wednesday, less than a week after North Korea's second ICBM test this year, Fox News reports. The Air Force said in a statement that the test was "not a response to recent North Korean action" and had been "long planned."
The American Minuteman III missile was unarmed and flew more than 4,000 miles from where it was launched at the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California to Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, NBC News reports. It was the fourth U.S. ICBM test this year.
The test shows that America's missile program is "safe, secure, effective, and ready to be able to deter, detect, and defend against attacks on the United States and its allies," the Air Force said.