adical Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki released a video this weekend calling on Muslim US servicemen to kill their fellow soldiers. In the video, Awlaki — an American-born jihadist preacher who may have played a part in the Ford Hood shootings — also praises the so-called "Underwear Bomber" and calls for the mass killing of American civilians. We have plenty to fear from this man, says Kamran Pasha in the Huffington Post. Al-Awlaki's influence on Muslims "is in many ways far more insidious than that of his fellow madman, Osama Bin Laden." As a trained scholar, al-Awlaki's extremist teachings have a "troubling and dangerous" authority. In response, the Association of Patriotic Arab Americans in Military said it does not "condone nor give any credibility to the statements of Anwar al-Awlaki" and the Obama Administration, which has targeted Awlaki for assassination, confirmed that it is "actively trying to find him." Watch a CBS report about al-Awlaki's latest threats:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
Subscribe to the Week