- Watch this April 10
Add this to the list of things Hillary Clinton has in common with George W. Bush: A woman threw a shoe at the former secretary of state Thursday afternoon while she was delivering an address at the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries meeting.
Clinton flinched as the shoe flew past her head, but she was not hit. She took the incident in stride, joking, "Is that part of Cirque du Soleil?"
Mike Carpenter, a spokesman for the institute, said in a statement that the woman, who has not been identified, was not affiliated with the organization, nor was she supposed to be at the event. "Our staff denied her access before she later rushed past security," he said. "An ISRI staffer then stopped her as she approached the stage. She was then handed over to law enforcement." Watch the incident unfold below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- President Obama's abysmal, legacy-killing response to the CIA torture report
Subscribe to the Week