- Whatever You Say April 16
Frazier Glenn Cross (aka Frazier Glenn Miller), the white supremacist charged with shooting and killing three people at Jewish community sites in Kansas on Sunday, has at least one person willing to go on the record saying good things about him: Daniel Clevenger, the brand new mayor of Marionville, Mo.
"He was always nice and friendly and respectful of elder people," Clevenger told KSPR, an ABC affiliate. "He respected his elders greatly, as long as they were the same color as him. Very fair and honest and never had a bit of problems out of him." Clevenger later added that he "kind of agreed with him on some things, but I don't like to express that too much."
Miller, 73, lives near Marionville, and is known in the area for his racist views. About a decade ago, Clevenger defended Miller in the Aurora Advertiser newspaper, writing, "I am a friend of Frazier Miller helping to spread his warnings. The Jew-run medical industry has succeeded in destroying the United States workforce." The letter continued for several paragraphs, and included more digs against the "Jew-run government-backed banking industry."
Clevenger isn't straying too far from that message today, telling KSPR, "There are some things that are going on in this country that are destroying us. We've got a false economy and it's — some of those corporations are run by Jews because the names are there."
Prosecutors in Johnson County, Kan., filed state murder charges against Miller on Tuesday. He stands accused of killing 14-year-old Reat Underwood, his grandfather William Corporon, and Terri LaManno. Clevenger was quick to tell KSPR he thinks "it's terrible what Frazier did. He didn't have any right to do that, and I think he should pay with his life." Watch the video on the KSPR site.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week