- Whatever You Say April 16
Frazier Glenn Cross (aka Frazier Glenn Miller), the white supremacist charged with shooting and killing three people at Jewish community sites in Kansas on Sunday, has at least one person willing to go on the record saying good things about him: Daniel Clevenger, the brand new mayor of Marionville, Mo.
"He was always nice and friendly and respectful of elder people," Clevenger told KSPR, an ABC affiliate. "He respected his elders greatly, as long as they were the same color as him. Very fair and honest and never had a bit of problems out of him." Clevenger later added that he "kind of agreed with him on some things, but I don't like to express that too much."
Miller, 73, lives near Marionville, and is known in the area for his racist views. About a decade ago, Clevenger defended Miller in the Aurora Advertiser newspaper, writing, "I am a friend of Frazier Miller helping to spread his warnings. The Jew-run medical industry has succeeded in destroying the United States workforce." The letter continued for several paragraphs, and included more digs against the "Jew-run government-backed banking industry."
Clevenger isn't straying too far from that message today, telling KSPR, "There are some things that are going on in this country that are destroying us. We've got a false economy and it's — some of those corporations are run by Jews because the names are there."
Prosecutors in Johnson County, Kan., filed state murder charges against Miller on Tuesday. He stands accused of killing 14-year-old Reat Underwood, his grandfather William Corporon, and Terri LaManno. Clevenger was quick to tell KSPR he thinks "it's terrible what Frazier did. He didn't have any right to do that, and I think he should pay with his life." Watch the video on the KSPR site.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
Subscribe to the Week