- Your daily cry May 11
Welcome to the NFL, Michael Sam. With the 249th pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams chose Sam, making him the first openly gay player in football history.
An ESPN camera crew captured a tearful Sam receiving the phone call from Rams coach Jeff Fisher telling him he'd been chosen. Sam's reaction:
The full video of the emotional scene is below. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The next pandemic
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week