- Your daily cry May 11
Welcome to the NFL, Michael Sam. With the 249th pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams chose Sam, making him the first openly gay player in football history.
An ESPN camera crew captured a tearful Sam receiving the phone call from Rams coach Jeff Fisher telling him he'd been chosen. Sam's reaction:
The full video of the emotional scene is below. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
Subscribe to the Week