- Your daily cry May 11
Welcome to the NFL, Michael Sam. With the 249th pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams chose Sam, making him the first openly gay player in football history.
An ESPN camera crew captured a tearful Sam receiving the phone call from Rams coach Jeff Fisher telling him he'd been chosen. Sam's reaction:
The full video of the emotional scene is below. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- How America's broken immigration system is failing the military
Subscribe to the Week