- Your daily cry May 11
Welcome to the NFL, Michael Sam. With the 249th pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams chose Sam, making him the first openly gay player in football history.
An ESPN camera crew captured a tearful Sam receiving the phone call from Rams coach Jeff Fisher telling him he'd been chosen. Sam's reaction:
The full video of the emotional scene is below. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- You're reheating pizza wrong
Subscribe to the Week