- Your daily cry May 11
Welcome to the NFL, Michael Sam. With the 249th pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams chose Sam, making him the first openly gay player in football history.
An ESPN camera crew captured a tearful Sam receiving the phone call from Rams coach Jeff Fisher telling him he'd been chosen. Sam's reaction:
The full video of the emotional scene is below. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week