Here are 12 things we know about how the brain works from Brain Rules.
1. Exercise boots brain power
Wondering whether there is a relationship between exercise and mental alertness? The answer is yes.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
2. Your brain is a survival organ
The human brain evolved, too.
3. Every brain is wired differently
4. We don't pay attention to boring things
We must do something emotionally relevant every 10 minutes to reset our attention.
5. Repeat to remember
6. Remember to repeat
7. If you sleep well, you'll think well
As for naps?
The ideal time to nap — the nap zone.
One more tip: "Don't schedule important meetings at 3 p.m. It just doesn't make sense."
8. Stressed brains don't learn the same way
What causes stress?
What effect does stress have on the brain?
Stress not only lowers performance, but also heightens emotional memory so that the poor performances are very easy for us to remember.
9. It's important to stimulate more senses
10. Vision trumps all other senses
11. Male and female brains are different
12. We are powerful and natural explorers
More from Farnam Street...
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.