Parents preparing to sue school district where 6-year-old shot teacher
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
The parents of two students at Richneck Elementary, the Virginia school where a 6-year-old shot his teacher, filed notices of potential legal action against the Newport News School District, CBS News reports.
The families say their children experienced trauma from the Jan. 6 shooting, which left first-grade teacher Abigail Zwerner critically injured. In one case, the parents say their daughter "suffered emotional harm" from witnessing the shooting, and accused school administrators of failing to protect their daughter from bullying, harassment, and assault. The other family said their child sustained "injuries" in the shooting; authorities have said no children were physically hurt during the incident, and the family's attorney did not share into additional details.
Police have said the 6-year-old brought his mother's 9 mm handgun to school and used it to purposely shoot Zwerner, 25. The teacher spent about two weeks in the hospital, and is recovering at home. Her attorney, Diane Toscano, filed a legal notice at the end of January stating that in the hours before the shooting, at least three teachers and staff members approached school administrators and said they thought the boy had a gun; his backpack was searched and no weapon was found, and the boy was allowed to stay in his class.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The document also says the boy had been suspended for one day after he "slammed" Zwerner's cellphone and broke it, and he shot her on the day he came back to school. Administrators routinely received complaints about the boy, the document states, and he allegedly cursed at teachers, chased students while trying to whip them with a belt, and choked a teacher "until she couldn't breathe." The boy is now at a medical facility and is receiving unspecified services, CBS News reports, and an investigation into the shooting is ongoing.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
At least 8 dead in California’s deadliest avalancheSpeed Read The avalanche near Lake Tahoe was the deadliest in modern California history and the worst in the US since 1981
-
Political cartoons for February 19Cartoons Thursday’s political cartoons include a suspicious package, a piece of the cake, and more
-
The Gallivant: style and charm steps from Camber SandsThe Week Recommends Nestled behind the dunes, this luxury hotel is a great place to hunker down and get cosy
-
Maxwell pleads 5th, offers Epstein answers for pardonSpeed Read She offered to talk only if she first received a pardon from President Donald Trump
-
Hong Kong jails democracy advocate Jimmy LaiSpeed Read The former media tycoon was sentenced to 20 years in prison
-
Ex-Illinois deputy gets 20 years for Massey murderSpeed Read Sean Grayson was sentenced for the 2024 killing of Sonya Massey
-
Campus security is under scrutiny again after the Brown shootingTalking Points Questions surround a federal law called the Clery Act
-
Sole suspect in Brown, MIT shootings found deadSpeed Read The mass shooting suspect, a former Brown grad student, died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds
-
France makes first arrests in Louvre jewels heistSpeed Read Two suspects were arrested in connection with the daytime theft of royal jewels from the museum
-
Trump pardons crypto titan who enriched familySpeed Read Binance founder Changpeng Zhao pleaded guilty in 2023 to enabling money laundering while CEO of the cryptocurrency exchange
-
Thieves nab French crown jewels from LouvreSpeed Read A gang of thieves stole 19th century royal jewels from the Paris museum’s Galerie d’Apollon
