Former Auschwitz guard, 93, accused of playing a role in 300,000 deaths

Former Auschwitz guard, 93, accused of playing a role in 300,000 deaths
(Image credit: Pool/Getty Images)

A 93-year-old former guard at the Auschwitz concentration camp has been charged with 300,000 counts of accessory to murder, German prosecutors announced Monday.

Oskar Groening is believed to have worked at the death camp from May to July 1944, when 425,000 Jews were brought in from Hungary. Almost immediately, more than 300,000 were killed.

Last year, German federal prosecutors began investigating Groening and about 30 other ex-Auschwitz guards, NBC News reports. Groening is believed to be in good health, and is currently not in custody. Judges in the northern German city of Lueneburg will soon decide if a court case will be opened, and if and when a trial could begin.

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

In a 2005 interview with Der Spiegel, Groening said he saw the crimes happening at Auschwitz, but did not participate. "Accomplice would almost be too much for me," he said. "I would describe my role as a 'small cog in the gears.' If you can describe that as guilt, then I am guilty, but not voluntarily. Legally speaking, I am innocent."

To continue reading this article...
Continue reading this article and get limited website access each month.
Get unlimited website access, exclusive newsletters plus much more.
Cancel or pause at any time.
Already a subscriber to The Week?
Not sure which email you used for your subscription? Contact us