Suspected Copenhagen gunman previously known to law enforcement, police say

Copenhagen police
(Image credit: Björn Kietzmann / Demotix / Corbis)

Danish police said Sunday the gunman believed to have carried out two weekend shootings was a Danish-born 22-year-old man with a criminal record. Police said the man had ties to gang activity, though as of Sunday afternoon they declined to release his name.

A gunman killed two people and wounded five in separate terror attacks, the first on Saturday at a cafe, and the second on Sunday outside a synagogue. Earlier Sunday, police said they shot and killed the suspected gunman after he opened fire on officers surveilling a location in the city.

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up
To continue reading this article...
Continue reading this article and get limited website access each month.
Get unlimited website access, exclusive newsletters plus much more.
Cancel or pause at any time.
Already a subscriber to The Week?
Not sure which email you used for your subscription? Contact us