David Lynch says he's no longer directing the Twin Peaks revival

David Lynch
(Image credit: Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

David Lynch is stepping away from the Showtime revival of Twin Peaks, he announced on Twitter Sunday.

"After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done," he tweeted. Lynch, a co-creator of the original show, had already written nine episodes and was set to direct the reboot, Variety reports. He also tweeted that Showtime has not pulled the plug on the project, and he spent the weekend calling the show's actors to let them know he was out. "I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently," he added.

In a statement, Showtime said: "We were saddened to read David Lynch's statement today since we believed we were working toward solutions with David and his reps on the few remaining deal points. Showtime also loves the world of Twin Peaks, and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm."

The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up
Explore More
Catherine Garcia, The Week US

Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.